Phase Two of My Genius Hour Project

Hey There Genius!

Great news, I have a few updates on my Genius Hour research! So far I have made good progress and I have committed to several important decisions. I would love to share them with you.

UPDATES 

I decided to extend my digital portfolio and create a portfolio and blogging platform powered by WordPress using a free domain! My plan is to continue with Genius Hour Projects and showcase them on my new website. Also, I would love to display the products of my other passions while also adding a few blog posts!

Eventually and once I get comfortable with my own website,  I would like to help my S/O out and build a website with him for his new business. He will definitely be happy to hear he won't have to hire any experts for help plus he'll be happy to hear how easy and affordable building a professional website is! In a business aspect, having a website will allow anyone to view your company and you can cover basic housekeeping questions instantly for example, your services and contact information. It is super beneficial to break into the online community as an entrepreneur!

Now, back to my Genius Hour Project and my website. Here is what I found out while opening my free domain.

LAUNCHING MY WEBSITE

First, I had to register a free domain name that has the subdomain attached. I will also have a link for my new website once I start editing my page, so stay tuned for my next Genius Hour post! The overall launch was a very easy 5 step process. There were a few options for domains and they claimed that the free domain was the best option for students. Right after, they gave me a choice of a a few popular and professional looking templates to start that had great visuals. Additionally, there were hundreds of more free themes if I wanted to change it later! WordPress also provides community support for even free domains which is great to know if I ever need help down the road. Next, all I had to do was enter a password and my email, and that was it. Just to mention, there are other paid website options that include personal websites for hobbyists, premium websites for freelancers and business websites. Business websites are the most expensive yet affordable at $32.42 per month. Differences between mine and the business package include opportunities to upload plugins, unlimited storage and access to all premium features. There is also no advertising by WordPress. Overall, the process for my portfolio website was absolutely so simple and quick. It was the opposite experience of what I had assumed it would be!

MY THOUGHTS THIS WEEK

After having Google Blogs experience now, I noticed that the options are very similar in regards to editing my website. Having a Google Blog has definitely helped with this transition to launching a WordPress website. So far, WordPress is also as accessible as Google Blogs and I will have more updates on the specifics next week!

COMING SOON...

Next week I will start thinking about how to organize my website and what my first posts will be. I have noticed that portfolio websites in general are very engaging and have many photos and media features. During my research I will keep looking at other websites for inspiration, especially personal blogging, portfolio and education based websites now that I have narrowed down my Genius Hour Project. One last thing, I will be continuing my ongoing search for various features and plugins to incorporate eventually!

See you next week!

Teddy

Comments