I Present to You My Genius Hour Project: Ms. Spassova's Website

Welcome back to my Genius Hour Blog!

I am so happy to share that I have successfully launched my website using WordPress, as I've mentioned in my previous week's post. I would like to share my concluding experiences with this project, along with what I've learned so far during this process! It is bittersweet for me to be writing this post today, because it is my last post regarding my Genius Hour Project. Don't worry! I will be sharing my other projects and personal blog posts on my new website! Keep reading and you will soon find the link at the end of this post.

WHAT I ACCOMPLISHED THIS CONCLUDING WEEK

I became very busy this week working on my website. After finding inspiration from the websites that I mentioned before, I kept researching and comparing as many as I could to my own site. I purposely looked at some large corporations' websites and really liked Apple's. You can see it in the image here↡:
Apple's Website for Canada (2017) "First Page of Website" Retrieved from https://www.apple.com/ca/.
What stood out to me here was the simplistic nature and emphasis on visual appeal by using large and well made images. I appreciated how unclustered the page was. I also liked how bright and airy it felt on a white backdrop with a simple navigational menu in black as a clean header. After that, I found a great (but very long!) YouTube tutorial titled "How to Make a WordPress Website" by Tyler Moore, and you can check it out below.



The author of the video actually discusses how website trends are moving towards simple and airy backgrounds, just like Apple's site. When I chose a free template for my own webpage, I tried to use one that allowed for large images with clean and airy feels. The author of the video also lets you use a template he created that brings to life these trending themes. You actually need to have a premium membership with WordPress to use his template so I wasn't able to incorporate it on my own free website. Additionally, after my research I also added my own photos, including a stock photo, customized my fonts, embedded my Twitter page as a widget to the footers of all pages and I created my first website blog post!

WHAT I LEARNED

Overall, my Genius Hour project has allowed me to learn several things. The biggest lesson for me was how absolutely easy launching a website, for any purpose, really is. There are so many written tutorials, blogs, videos and website platforms available to help users create a perfect website. I also learned that if you need a professional website, you can launch one at an affordable rate. Additionally, I found out that there are actually not many free plug-ins and most of them require premium membership. Even with that said, the built-in plug-ins for free websites are quite all-encompassing. For example, the plug-ins that I have on my own webpage include the site's data analysis that helps me track where I am getting traffic from. The free themes are also great and there are so many to choose from! Again, to upload your own, however, is only a premium option on WordPress. I would love to create a premium website one day and eventually I would like to understand how website marketing and advertising occurs. Although for now, I am excited to keep editing and posting more content on my own first website!

GENIUS HOUR

Genius Hour has been a pleasure for me to work on. At each stage of my project, I was excited to research and find out information on something that I wanted to learn more about. Doing the work for this project didn't seem like work at all because I completely directed my learning and my goals with little assistance. I believe that this aspect is really a central and appealing factor for Genius Hour Projects. This was a personal project for me and I do have other curious questions about things that I can see myself beginning Genius Hour Projects for!

I believe that using this in a classroom will be a fun and rewarding experience that gets students engaged and allows them to take pride and ownership of their unique projects. As a pre-service teacher, I am interested in how the productivity of my students will be affected with Genius Hour and I do predict that it will increase just as the founders of Genius Hour state!

THAT'S A WRAP!

With all that said, I am proud to present to you the final product of my first Genius Hour Project! Thank you for being a part of this journey with me!

Here is my website⬇, enjoy!


Ms. Spassova's Website 
or https://msspassova.wordpress.com/

Love, 

Teddy

Comments